Thursday, May 26, 2005

Kids say the darndest things

An interesting thing happened to me today. Ballal and I were walking down the street, holding hands for some reason, and we crossed the street in front of this minivan with a couple of kids in the backseat. One of them was a little girl, she couldn't have been more than 10 years old, and when we passed by, she announced disgustedly, "Poofs!" (That's British for "fag.")(Incidentally, "fag" is British for "cigarette." But Ballal and I are not cigarettes -- we're homos.)

I actually couldn't believe it. I was going to make some joke about how funny it would be if this little girl said something like that when we walked by, and then she actually did! Ballal and I didn't stop walking, but he yelled back, "Fuck you, bitch!" It crossed my mind that that might have been a bit harsh, until I heard her high-pitched voice behind us screaming, "COME BACK HERE AND SAY THAT, YOU BASTARD! FUCKING POOFS!"

It's so wrong, but I couldn't help laughing. A lot. I shouldn't have, because that little girl has already become a nasty human being before reaching her teens, and it isn't her fault, really. It's chilling because it reminded me that kids really do just imitate the adults around them, and if those adults happen to suck, a kid has no idea it's being messed up. I mean, it's not like this little girl is in any way informed enough to have developed her own opinions about homosexual lifestyles. If anything, at her age, doesn't the idea of man-woman sex gross her out as much as a good swordfight between male lovers?

That little girl's mother was driving. How come she was okay with all this? Did she turn around in her seat and say anything to her daughter? "Well done, sweetheart! You really showed those fucking benders!"

Kids. You gotta love 'em.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?