Friday, February 04, 2005

Insomnia and birthdays

I have to get up early tomorrow morning to get on a bus to Edinburgh, but I keep finding new ways to put off going to bed, like folding a shitload of laundry (I do my laundry on a fairly regular basis, but once I get my clean clothes back to my room I can't be bothered to fold them, so I arrange them in a large fresh-smelling mountain from which I extract clothes to wear every day until times like now), watching trailers on the internet, or arranging everything on my bookshelf according to size (and then going back and putting them out of order so it looks attractively messy, like I take books off the shelf all the time and don't have time to put them back in order because I'm so eager to get my hands on another book because my thirst for knowledge is simply unquenchable).

I hate going to bed. Lots of people love it. Luke loved it for reasons which had nothing to do with the fact that it was usually with me. He just liked going to sleep. He could be out like a light in 5 minutes and I would just watch him sleep every night with a big frown on my face because I would love to be able to fall asleep in less than an hour. I was like, "What's wrong with you? Wake up. I hope you're having nightmares." Also, mornings are just awful. So every night I look for any excuse to avoid going to bed. The net result, I think, is that the hours between 10 PM and 4 AM have become the period when I'm at my most alert, creative, and clear-headed.

Where am I going with this? I don't know. I'm trying not to go to bed! But I suppose I should because my bus leaves at 8:35 AM. I'm just spending a day and night in Edinburgh because Laura's sister Becca has come all the way up from Derbyshire to celebrate her birthday. Happy birthday, Becca! This is a birthday-heavy time of year. Since the new year, it's been Jo's birthday, my birthday, and Pip's birthday. It was Becca's actual birthday a few days ago, and on Monday it's Marianne's birthday. Then some other people were born the next week (I don't personally know of any but probability points to yes), so it's all of their birthdays. In fact, that could very well be true of every day! Holy shit, that's a lot of birthdays!

My first week of class went pretty smoothly. I'll tell you all about it when I get back on Sunday, because right now I need to get some sleep!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?