Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanks

It's Thanksgiving today! This has always been one of my favorite holidays because it pretty much celebrates my #1 hobby, stuffing my face until I am in physical pain. There is also meant to be some sort of meaning involving the pilgrims and the “Indians” who taught them how to grow food or whatever, but they’re probably kicking themselves now for being so damn helpful.

So here I am, living in a country that doesn’t even celebrate Thanksgiving, but the holiday means so much more to me right now than it ever has in previous years. I especially remember this time last year, going through an all-time low in several areas of my life, finding it hard to be thankful for much. I look back on that period now and realize there was plenty to be thankful for. Moving back in with my parents was not just my only option -- it was the best thing I could have done to really get back in touch with my family. Being so cut off from Luke for those months, and how much it hurt, was something I would never go back and change because I learned so much in that time. And it’s the only thing that could have saved our relationship.

Now I’m here. I’m thankful for my parents unwavering love and support, especially when it came to something as crazy (and expensive) as living abroad for a year. I’m thankful for my whole family and how amazing they are. I’m thankful that Luke is still in my life, and that I know my family members are not the only ones who love me unconditionally. I’m thankful for my university for letting me come here, for my professors who wrote letters of recommendation (not so thankful for other professors who did not write letters of recommendation when perhaps they should have), for my friends at home and for the friends I’ve made here in Aberdeen. I’m thankful to everyone who’s been nice to me and has helped me not feel so lonely since moving so far away from home. I’m thankful that I’ve been given the chance to come here change my life, but I’m more thankful that I understand I have the ability to change my life without moving to the other side of the world. I’m thankful for all the good times, good food, and good clubbing.

Thank you, everyone who has been good to me and will continue to do so even when I screw up.

Happy Thanksgiving!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?