Friday, October 08, 2004

Shared moments

I was going to update sooner, but a whole more has happened in the last few days than a few more history lectures. But speaking of history lectures, I don't know how much more I can take -- the professor is a living sleeping aid. I'm sure she's a very nice woman, but even she appears to fall asleep once in a while in the middle of her lectures. Interestingly, the other professor teaching this course is a big homo who went to the AbFab meeting and possibly freaked some of his students.

And speaking of AbFab, after staying in for last week's meeting due to the dodgy time I had the first week, I met up with The Gays once more and actually had a really great time. But, you're probably asking (I can tell these things), what changed my mind about the whole enterprise? Well, I'll tell you. On Wednesday I entered the classroom and realized how fucking sick I was of walking into rooms full of people and leaving it however many hours later without having exchanged a single word with anyone. So after the lecture I made a beeline for some guy I recognized from AbFab. If I don't do this now, I'm never, ever going to, I thought. After all, I had talked to him briefly when Marianne introduced us that first week. The worst that can happen is he'll be super polite with me and never speak to me again. I just walked right up to him and said, "Hi!" like I was surprised to see him or something. Oh, shut up.

So I guess I was wrong about the worst that could happen, because what he replied was, "What?" And then, "Who are you?" You can imagine how delighted I was. Suddenly I was sure this wasn't the same guy I had been thinking of. I nervously tried to remind him who I was, but that's just the saddest thing, isn't it? "We met, remember? No? Well, let me explain it to you... How about now?"

Thank god he did end up remembering me, and thank god he turned out to be the nicest guy in the world. So that day I had lunch with my very own new friend, Iain. (Not the same Iain who told me his embarrassing story last week -- he's yesterday's news.) And it was Iain who convinced me to show up to this week's AbFab meeting -- see how that works out? In any situation like this, all you need to do is make one friend, and after that everything starts happening on its own. That one friend will sit next to you in the cafeteria and everyone else will wonder, Who is that new guy? He is clearly fascinating and staggeringly attractive, if that other guy is talking to him. I cannot wait to find out more. Something like that, anyway.

I don't know whose idea it was to mix gays and sports, but this week AbFab was shaking it up and going bowling instead of drinking. Well, in addition to drinking, really. We arrived at the bowling alley to find it would cost £8 to play two games, so me and another guy sat out and wet ourselves watching gay boys flinging bowling balls OVERHAND down the lanes. The lesbians, on the other hand -- strikes all around. Sometimes it's funny how perfectly people live up to your expectations.

The guy I ended up talking to, Marianne had also briefly introduced us the first week, but this time we were able to have a decent conversation, although strictly speaking I may be using the word "decent" a bit loosely here. I think he's great. Apparently, people have taken to simply calling him "B," because they can't be bothered to remember his real name correctly. I can say his name fine, but if I try and spell it right now he may see this and decide he wants nothing to do with me. So right now I'm hopping on the "B" bandwagon. "B"andwagon. Oh, is there no end to the funny?

In other news: I used up an entire calling card talking to David on the phone for the first time since he moved to Seattle a few weeks ago. I can't believe he's actually at university now -- and tomorrow he's turning 19! It's not just that it's happening so fast, it's happening WITHOUT ME. Luckily, being practically telepathic with each other saves on phone bills because we don't really have to finish any of our sentences.

We talked about the sitcom pilot he wrote for some contest on Bravo. I don't know the details, but if he's one of the top five I think they're going to make a reality show about filming it. The Wee David wrote a sitcom pilot, yo. And it's uncannily good -- I could easily imagine it on a network. And by "uncannily good," I mean that it so skillfully emulates the style of an actual American sitcom that if it was put on the air I'm not sure if I would watch it.

We traded updates on our new living situations. We reminisced about the Woody Allen Film Festival that was our last few months together in America. "I miss Woody Allen," David told me. "It's like all his movies take place in their own special universe where everyone feels as bad as I do."

I also made David give me every detail about how he talked to Morgan Spurlock in line at customs on his way back from New Zealand. Then he saw him again when he came to UW last week! My only celebrity sighting was when Danny Roberts from The Real World: New Orleans sat next to me at R. Place and our legs were touching. I would have said something, but his boyfriend was drooling all over my friend Greg and we were busy watching that spectacle together. That's what I call a shared moment.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?