Sunday, October 03, 2004

Good times

I was going to see Double Indemnity at the cinema with Morris yesterday, but due to a dodgy negative it was replaced with The Big Sleep. Since I've heard the title of that movie is a bit too accurate, we saw a Russian film called Father and Son instead. After seeing it, I've decided Russian films may not be for me. The only other ones I can remember seeing are Burnt by the Sun, which I couldn't even finish (I know, shame on me), and Black Ice, which I cannot stress enough times was so awful I nearly wept. Perhaps the best thing that can be said about Father and Son is that it is incredibly homoerotic. Perhaps the worst thing is that this homoeroticism takes place between the two title figures. Luckily, I'm pretty sure they're not related in real life.

I feel really good about being friends with Morris. He's one of the few people I've met who's up for seeing two or three movies instead of just one when going to the cinema. He may also be the only person interested in going to the movie quiz with me EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. One of these days, I'm going to win that £10 worth of drinks. And until I do, every Tuesday night at 9:15 PM you're going to find me in the cinema bar with a pen and paper in one hand and my reckless ambition in the other. (I don't know how you can hold your own or anyone else's reckless ambition in your hand, but by god I'm going to try.)

Hanging out with Morris is pressure-free, unlike every other social situation I've found myself in since I arrived here. Not that it's so bad or anything, because I've met lots of super cool people I'd like to get to know. But having something in common like cinemania or whatever you want to call it certainly expedites the process. It's why I immediately got on with Rosie, and now we've become really good friends.

Last night Rosie and I had a night out at Gayville. That's not the name of the local gay club, but I wish it was. I remember Margaret Cho talking about the big gay club in Edinburgh, "C. C. Bloom's," which is named after Bette Midler's character in Beaches, and she said, "That place should just be called 'FUCK ME IN THE ASS!'" (Rosie has a special predilection for stand-up comedy, and she's NEVER HEARD OF MARGARET CHO. So I'm excited to be the person who introduces her.) The gay club here is called "Oh, Henry's." Yeah...I'm not going to touch that one.

Anyway, Rosie and I had a really good time. I recognized a few people from the AbFab meeting last week. The thing about gay clubs is that nobody goes there to make friends. Not the kind you talk to, anyway. If I'm going to bond with The Gays of Aberdeen, I'm going to have to make friends with them outside of a club. And I don't mean like behind the building, if you know what I mean. (Thank you, I'll be here all week.) It is always a little disappointing, though, to see everyone around you hooking up while you fend off the weirdos, and it's best to never forget that music, dancing, and good friends are the real reason all this is any fun. Holy shit, the music here is fantastic. I would get into that, but I'm keeping poor Rosie up and she has to wake up at 7:30 AM.

Also, I consumed my weight in chips today, and I'm not sorry. Just throwing that out there.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?